Lazair II

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:12 am

A look at the cut out for the jury struts.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 am

A view from the rear that also shows my external capstrips that I just recently made.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Looks super! What sreamline strut material did you use, and who sells it? I had this on my first Lazair Series II years ago, and couldn't find it for this one. So I'm curious.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:51 pm

George, I actually got mine for free from a relative of mine, but you can still get it. Be warned that they are not cheap though. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that the pushrods on a series three will fit inside.

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/streamlinedfairings/1.html

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:53 pm

This looks similar to the material I used back in the early 80's, except the one I used actually "snapped" together at the tail along the entire length of the piece. So did you use the small one of the larger one?
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm

I believe that mine was the larger size, but I'm not 100 percent sure since mine was given to me.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:43 pm

Dave,

Don't mean to chuckle :) The installation looks sweet - but probably won't affect things too much with all the frontal drag from the cockpit area and the engines. I dream of sculpting some cowlings like the guy in michigan did (the pic from lazairforce of the lazair on floats with cowlings and strut fairings and simple pod...drool).

i have some old pics of 2-seaters modified to have enclosures and they don't look that bad either.

I think those fairings sell for just under $200 for enough for 2 struts.

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Tyler,

Yea, I agree that in the grand scheme of things that streamlining the struts won't amount to much, if anything at all. The drag on these two-seaters is enormous without enclosing the whole fuse. I like that it's all open and I don't forsee myself messing with that. My only justification for putting on the plasic fairings is that I've had them for a number of years now and figured "what the heck!"

I got my new props installed yesterday and so far things are going well with them. The weather was less than ideal with low ceilings and gusty winds so I only took her around the pattern once.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:21 pm

A close up of my new props/spinners......

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Great-looking airplane Dave, I agree their slightly undervalued and what a great example of the lazair you deserve everything you can get for it.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge