Is this a Series III or Surveillance Special?

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Hey all,

I'll post a few pictures of the parts I bought. I downloaded the Series III manual and my parts look a lot like those in the book. Which model do you guys think it is? (I have more pictures if there are particular things that should be looked at.)

The seller called it a Police Special that was sold to Raleigh Durham PD in North Carolina USA. It may have had an enclosure at one time. I'm surprised to see a taildragger with no brakes and free castoring furniture casters as tailwheels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:25 pm

From the rear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 pm

No brakes and what looks like a homegrown mod to get a castoring tailwheel. Ouch.
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:28 pm

I'll probably go to toe brakes (perhaps mountain-bike parts) and castoring tailwheels per the book, but should I just start with fixed tailwheels?
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:31 pm

The book says the Series III is a taildragger. Is the optional nosewheel and indication that the mains ought to be a few inches more forward to make it a manageable taildragger? I don't have much taildragger time yet, but haven't seen much propensity in other planes to nose over on normal fields.
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:32 pm

Random parts (mag switches) that came with, perhaps indicating model?
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Apart from outboard section of one wing, D-cells appear good. Almost all ribs need some work. Are there drawings, templates, or pre-formed ribs available? Where would I acquire the foam and what's it called?
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:36 pm

Lots of delamination.
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm thinking about doing what David (uscgairdale) did with his two-seater; completely rebuild it, document the heck out of the process, and seek US experimental amateur-built registration so that I might (performance permitting) carry more fuel, fly into occasional controlled airports for pie, log part-61 time while messing around in a fun airplane, and (if equipped) fly at night.

I have a warm hangar in Oklahoma City, good engineering skills, and negligible tools / aptitude for building a plane. What have I gotten myself into :) I would seriously consider partners who bring aircraft fabrication experience.

--
Craig
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:54 am

Hi Craig

I don't think that was a police special. looks like you have a series III that someone has modified slightly. i see:
- double down tubes (I haven't seen that ever - the tubes that hang down from the main boom tube down to the wheels)
- some kind of channel axle (that channel is what your struts connect to and it looks alot different that stock lazair. george curtis can make you a stock replacement tube)
- your aileron pushrods run up the struts like a series III
- tailwheels (the fact they are not factory suggests your lazair started life as an earlier series and was upgraded, and the tailwheel upgrade not purchased. as well you have "skinny pushrods" suggesting it was an earlier model series II that was upgraded to wide gear and lower mount stick)

that's what I can see, anyone else?

Tyler
Edmonton, AB
JPXman
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info