Is this a Series III or Surveillance Special?

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazairiii » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:52 pm

I think Tyler is correct on this. Shannon has a keen eye for determining the correct vintage as well. Shannon?

I too have never see the DBL down tubes, and as Tyler points out, the small push rods are a possible indication of an early series II that has been converted. I have to tell you, you have a "project" on your hands. If you fully intend to bring this back to life, you SHOULD do a complete do over. It is possible, and you will certainly have a great plane and a mountain of experience when you're finished. So determine your time commitment and if you want to do it. I'd say you have a couple of years of part time evening sort of work, or, if you have a lot of time to dedicate to it, it's still a year or so. Don't short cut either, do it right! Nothing I hate worse than a shabby half hearted effort on a resoration project...especially on a Lazair.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby sustainflight » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks for the IDs; seems to be a hodge podge. It's also missing parts and the seller has not called back. Uh oh...

Will take some pictures of the D-cells; here's a photo of the inboard section. There is a little crack in the leading edge sheet metal of one outboard wing section. The D-cells otherwise look good on cursory inspection.

--
Craig
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Chappy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:30 am

My vote is a Series 2 with lots of owner mods and a few upgrades. Beefed up gear and cage to replace a wipeout, or maybe to support the larger engines visible on the floor in the back of the first picture (Zenoah G25's?).

By the looks of the faded wheels and crumbling ribs, I suggest opening the spars to reglue the internal foam ribs, and careful evaluation of all (especially plastic) components throughout the airframe. All stock blind rivets were aluminum or stainless steel. Watch out for any carbon steel ones added later. They could be in very poor condition after being exposed to weather for an extended period of time. Those tail wheels will work only until they get dirt in them.

Series 2 was considered a taildragger, but gear position is probably not stock anymore. Why did so many people that modified series 1 and 2's try to make them tricycle gear instead?

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:56 am

Wow, that's quite the modified machine. Making new ribs would probably be in order which isn't that big a deal, especially if the capstrips are in good order. Opening up the d-cells is a must in my book. Based on the rest of the plane, chances are the nose ribs should be re-glued in.

Why do people turn these into tricycle gear Lazairs? I have no idea.....it's like putting a half track drive set up on a corvette. All that is going to happen is that it will be ruined.

Craig, If I were you I would not register it and keep it 103 legal if I had the choice. If you want to you will need to find a UL/light sport friendly DAR so that you do not need to educate them on how safe these Lazairs are If you need to discuss anything with the process you can always contact me offline.

Dave

PS: I'll be making some posts soon about a very interesting incident that I had with my 2-place and my continuing engine rpm issue that I just resolved!
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby sustainflight » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm

The seller said the plane last flew with JPX engines (not sure which size), but he brought the Zenoah G25 engines you see in the photos (sans induction or exhaust parts).
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby sustainflight » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:13 pm

That makes sense. If I find the thickness to be less than 0.020, I should limit HP/vibration to something comparable to the 9.5 HP JPX?
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 pm

If you have .016 skin on your d-cells you could put a doubler to upgrade to accept the bigger engines. If I remember right some of the guys on here have done that. My two-place wings have the .020 skin and a doubler underneath that extends from the root out to the R6 (I think) rib. I suppose that you could put a doubler underneath too.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:12 am

The SS in the smithsonian
Big project, but aren't they all?
ozzie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 pm

DROOL.........

I was just in D.C. for the Coast Guard last week, but I didn't have enough time to get over there and see it in person. Maybe someday.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Craig,

The above pic that Shannon posted is of my Series II kit that I chose to upgrade to the Series III specs as I was building it. As Shannon suggested, you may be better off to discard some of the odd parts that someone did on your fuselage and get back on track with original components. If you need help with these, I'd be happy to help. I've been manufacturing many of these parts for the group and can do them for you as well. Just let me know if you need some help.

E-mail me off-line: gcurtis@aspenpress.com

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info