Lazair Elite and Lazair hero on youtube

Add your Movies of LAZAIRS here !!

Postby JPXman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:36 pm

check this out

youtube clip

I see awesome closeups of that KFM lazair (i think dave A. has those engines now?) and I think i see a redrive powered pioneer lazair taking off with a cool bob C in the cockpit?

T.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Pretty cool. Thomas Walters plane (and Dave A's engines) when Tony Gilbert owned it. Hey maybe we will get to see a video of the plane below flying before long ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Yea. I second that one, we all want to see that EC in the air!

Got another few hours to put on mine and the phase one flight testing is complete for my experimental status. Man, this "real airplane" stuff is a lot like work.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:31 am

Tyler,

Wow, that's wild. Thanks! That video is over a quarter century old - and I've never seen it (like most all of the video shot of it all those years ago). I wonder if I can get a high resolution copy from them?

That take off at Sun N' Fun's ultralight strip is to the East over the fence and the Piper factory. I figured if I lost an engine, I could land on the roof. At least one Quicksilver did land and take back off there - big show off! Notice the Airshow configuration - an almost empty fuel tank for maximum performance takeoff. BTW, my plane's weight as seen in this video is 195 pounds dry, I weighed 175 back then, plus I'm sure I had my steel tie-downs, tool kit and spare spark plugs in the boot. Considering that, not too bad a take off on only 11 horsepower.

Ain't that Mylar pretty?!!

Shannon,

If the EC still looked anywhere close to that good when I purchased it, it would already be in the air. The engines have been rebuilt, but nothing has been done on the airframe yet. It makes me sadder than you guys.

C.
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazairkid » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:38 pm

And Here is the lazair now with out the KFM's and with Solo 210's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Thomas ! I don't believe anyone has asked and I don't think you have said but.... HOW DOES IT FLY ? Solo's, Redives, 44" P-tips, Spoilers..people want to know ?
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby lazairiii » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Hey, I'm an inquiring mind too! Thomas? Let's hear!
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairkid » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:47 pm

It flies O.K. a little slow on the controls than what I'm use to.
The engines perform nicely, around 100 Lb of thrust each. The carbs have to be tuned every week or two depending on the temp.
Unfourtionaly last Sept one of the guys I shared a hanger with pushed his airplanes rudder trim tabs into my ruddervators and put a 8" cut in both ruddervators so I have not been flying it. I have a Rans s-14 that I fly.
I thought about recovering the tail in fabric this time, but I'm busy finishing
up on building my own hanger right now.
The Solo's are a good replacement for the KFM's and the 185's I think..
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby lazairkid » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:50 pm

pic II
lazairkid
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:14 am

Thomas were you able to record any preliminary performance figures...i.e take off distance, climb rate, speeds, sink rate (engines at idle and/or spoliers deployed)..ect ect.
Shannon
SHANNON

Next

Return to Lazair movies