Thermalling

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:06 am

Ozzie for the ribs I used 3/4" 3M 4950 VHB Foam tape.

The front wing attach fitting doubler mod originated from the conversion kit that was supplied for Series III's when swapping from 185s to JPXs. The instructions name the doubler a "sparcap doubler F-422 L/R". As you can see from these factory instructions they extend over the wing attach fitting and down the spar for a short length. Some guys opted to place a shorter length doubler that only went over the wing attach fittings.

On 2-seats and Elites you would find that the front wing attach fittings (with long length sparcap doublers) are bolted to the spar rather than attached with slanted rows of rivets as seen on page 4 below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 am

Page 4 JPX engine conversion instructions
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Ozzie when upgrading my wings it looked like this during fitting operations.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby ozzie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:53 pm

Shannon
thanks for the drawings and photo. I'll do this over winter.
ozzie

Pic: Two Seater D-cell with bolted wing attach fitting
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:01 pm

the VHB foam comes in 2 foot wide rolls and the supplier cuts it to whatever width the customer wants. he usually has one inch sitting on the shelf if you ask for an odd size like 3/4 he will still charge you for the inch then charge a cutting fee. so easier, cheaper just to use one inch.
ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:52 am

For the record all my 3M VHB tapes came from Uline tape company. Ozzie I don't think it would make a whole bunch of difference using 1" vs. 3/4" foam tape on the ribs. When the 1" is paddled down on the beveled rib caps it should work out about the same as 3/4".

Lee most here use "traditional" type (Mylar, Tedlar, Fabric) coverings on their planes. Your plane being covered in boat shrink wrap puts you a bit on your own as to the best methods and materials for repair and replacement. The methods and techniques used to shrink your material may differ quite a bit from what is needed for Tedlar/Mylar/Fabric for example.

I would highly advise to post detailed pics of the plane/engines so that anything appearing potentially unsafe can be identified and pointed out. It's totally to your advantage to do this and costs nothing. Seemingly simple things like letting others see what kind of sparkplugs caps are on the engines may save trouble. It's very easy for a new guy to take for granted that a plane is set-up proper and safe when it actually isn't. Numerous times now guys have saved themselves trouble by simply posting pics and asking questions.

I say pay great attention to detail and consider all opinion given. Take heed to all advice, warnings, and precautions offered. Relying totally on initial personal thoughts-impressions or what some guy somewhere advises may not always be the best thing to do.

Simply reading the manual and Lazair technical updates is a great place start with Lazair flying. A while back a guy discovered here that he was assembling the plane for flight incorrectly by letting the wings hang down to the ground while mounting them to the fuselage. Had he simply read the manual he would have not been doing this.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:30 pm

The advise that one can get here is second to none! Everyone here is interested in keeping Lazairs safely flying for a long long time to come...that's it, no other hidden agendas.

Post pics, ask questions, and chime in yourself from time to time. You would be suprised what you can get out of this site.

Dave A.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby mochamon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:15 am

Hey Everyone,

I sent some pics to web@lazair.com as I still haven't figured out how to post them, hopefully they will be able to post them soon. There are three Lazairs with the shrink wrap on them at the field I fly at. They have been using this material for 2-3 years now with no issues. Although it doesn't make for a traditional Lazair, it is safe. It is also easier to apply, so I have been told, and much cheaper.

Cheers,

Lee
mochamon
Lazair.com Member

Postby mochamon » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Hey,

Does anyone know how much thrust a single Rotax 185 puts out with the Lazair props? More curious than anything.

Cheers,

Lee
mochamon
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 am

mochamon @ Mar 13 2009, 04:27 PM wrote: I can't figure out how to post a pic. It keeps saying that I cannot upload that type of file. It's a jpeg file. What can I post?

I think the problem you are having is picture size. Admin forwarded them to me and they are over 2.1mb. In the future save the pics in a smaller size before upload. Max pic size 97.66mb. Keep the pics coming as I'm sure everyone is interested in learning more about your covering.

Rotax 185 thrust was reported around 60-62lbs with original Bi-props.
Shannon
SHANNON

PreviousNext

Return to Lazair - General