Thermalling

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby mochamon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:53 pm

I will keep them coming as soon as I get more. Thanks for the thrust info.

just a few more days, woohoo....this work week is gonna be SLOW
mochamon
Lazair.com Member

Postby bdiedenhofen » Fri May 08, 2009 10:38 am

Back to the original point of thermalling. I just returned my bird to my home airport on Tuesday. I keep it on a farm strip, in a hangar over the winter but it's a bit too far away. So for the summer, she stays outside at a strip just minutes from my home.
I rarely fly mid day as I prefer the piece and quiet of early morning or late evening. But the day was nice, and I wanted to get her home so that I could fly more often.
It was about 2:00 in the afternoon, beautiful blue sky and a nice tailwind. I expected it to be a bit bumpy, and it was. But certainly not uncomfortable. You can really feel it when you fly into a thermal. You can feel the temperature rise all around you, and you know that you're going up. I was getting 500ft/min pretty regularly. Sadly, I had to get home otherwise I would have just played around for a bit.
What's really interesting is that I have to fly over the Minising Swamp. If anyone knows the area, it's a huge swamp area near Barrie. I figured for sure that the air would be more stable over the cool swamp. Wrong - I hit the biggest lift over the swamp. I was somewhat amazed, I was throttled back in a dive - 35 to 40 on the hall - and still going up at 500ft/min. Wow! I had gained 2500 ft by the time I cleared the swamp and was seriously wondering how the heck I was ever going to get down. I glided to Edenvale at 35 and still had to circle to decend to circuit height. When I turned final, I was all lined up nicely doing 30 when bam, I was going up again. I had to dive and "S" turn to get the darn bird down on final.
Every day is an adventure, and every day I like the little bugger a little bit more. Soaring is pretty easy in this bird. Never thought I'd ever be in a plane and have to strategize about how to get back down. Very cool.
Brian D.
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby mochamon » Fri May 08, 2009 6:15 pm

Yep getting back down can be a challenge, especially in a paraglider. Curious question, does your Lazair have Jury Struts? What altitude were you at when you flew over the swamp? You said you had a good tail wind, what were the winds that day? When it is fairly windy (as long as it is not windy enough to blow the thermals away. ie blown out) the thermals will lean with the wind. Think of smoke stack in a light breeze, the smoke starts straight but very quickly starts to lean downwind with the wind. If you had the wind directly at your back you would be flying through the longest part of the thermal. Also the higher you go, the stronger the thermal gets until you reach cloud base. If the lift is too strong you can actually get sucked into the cloud, usually more of a danger for hang gliders and paragliders, hasn't happened to me yet (probably won't as I usually run away from clouds too early anyways-my instructor calls me chicken) As someone mentioned in this thread before don't forget you can side slip to lose altitude as well.

Cheers,

Lee
mochamon
Lazair.com Member

Postby bdiedenhofen » Mon May 11, 2009 8:09 am

Nope, no jury struts. I've put together a kit, but never gotten around to it. It's on the "to do" list.
The swamp's a good five miles across, and I didn't hit max lift until well pas t the half way point. Went from 2500 to 4500 ft without slowing down, or even trying to catch the lift. Good times.
Yeah, the Lazair slips just fine, and you can spot land easily by utilizing the slip.
Cheers,
Brian D.
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby mochamon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I haven't been on in a while, busy flying anything I can get my hands on, oh and trying to keep the girlfriend happy. That in itself is like having 2 full time jobs. So far I haven't done any thermalling but I am getting used to flying in stonger and bumpier air. Also learning how to land with engines at idle, first one was my best landing ever, must be the extra attention to not crashing. Does anyone know what rpm would give zero thrust?

Cheers and Blue skies,

Lee

PS the shrink material is holding up great so far, into its third year and no issues.
mochamon
Lazair.com Member

Postby JPXman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:16 am

i'm pretty sure zero rpm would give zero thrust. there may be others. :)
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby mochamon » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:12 am

JPXman @ Jul 3 2009, 02:16 AM wrote: i'm pretty sure zero rpm would give zero thrust. there may be others. :)

lmao :lol:

I am not brave enough to shut the engines down yet.... :o
mochamon
Lazair.com Member

Previous

Return to Lazair - General