30 years of Lazair

Post any Ultralight , Aviation related events here

Postby gdewsbury » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 am

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the Lazair a Canadian designed and built aircraft. A group of enthusiastic Lazair Pilots feel this is a good time to celebrate the aircraft and its designer. We invite you to join us this summer at the UPAC (Ultralight Pilots Association of Canada) convention August 14-16 located near Kitchener, Ontario to meet and greet with other Lazair pilots. UPAC has set aside an area for Lazair pilots to gather and pitch their tents and planes. Local hotels are available minutes from the site for anyone not wanting to camp. If you can bring your plane we’d like to see it. If not, bring yourself for a chance to meet with likeminded pilots who simply enjoy flying their planes. If you can’t be there yourself we’d appreciate a picture and story about you and your plane to post so that we can put faces and names together. All Lazair pilots and dealers past or present are welcome. The stories and experiences of past flyers will help to guide new and wana be Lazair pilots. Dale Kramer will be joining us and is expected to speak on the history of the Lazair as part of the forum schedule. There is also a fly mart available for anyone wanting to sell parts. Full details of the convention and directions will be available on the web at www.upac.ca.
Dale George will be having his fly in at Big Bay again this year. A great opportunity to see the Niagara escarpment and Colpoy`s Bay from the air. He has asked that those who can only be at one event or the other to attend the UPAC meet where there is room to accommodate a larger group.
This year UPAC will be celebrating two milestones in Canadian Aviation history. 30 years of Lazair and 100 year anniversary of the Silver Dart. The Silver Dart was the first powered flight in Canada and the British Common Wealth. Ed Lubitz and Mark Taylor are moving right along on a full scale replica of the Dart and are expecting to fly it during the convention. Weather permitting.
Lazair event organizers:
Lynn Haugo- lynnhaugo@hotmail.com
Dale George- dale.george@magenn.com
Lorne Blunt- lblunt@ideal-access.com
Glen Dewsbury
Please RSVP myself if you plan to attend so we can be sure to accommodate all. gdewsbury@upac.ca
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:42 am

Dale at Big Bay last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:50 am

The Silver Dart in the construction phase. The wings and control surfaces are complete with engine installation under way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 pm

With the 30th year of the Laziar upon us is anyone planning on going to UPAC this year? I'm considering hauling my two-place up there if it looks like there will be a decent turn out by "the guys".

Come on Tyler, I want to fly form off of your two-place!

Dave A.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Plans for the 30th anniversary of the Lazair are coming together nicely.

Join us at the convention. Get your Lazair autographed by Dale Kramer himself. If you can’t bring the whole plane, bring a tail feather or another piece for his signature.
We will have a display of the various Lazair models that were built over the years as well as the original prototype.

On Saturday morning, Dale Kramer will present a forum on the history of the Lazair.
Join in discussions about alternate covering systems and what engines to use in your rebuild project.

We'll have a story board for photos. Send your pictures and stories for posting if you can’t be here yourself.

Bring all those extra parts from the garage for sale or send a list and a contact to me for posting at site.

Even if you can’t get your plane to the convention come along and join the group. It will be a great place to swap Lazair stories.

If you want further information or ideas let me know. If you can help out during the weekend, please let me know that too. I can be reached at gdewsbury@upac.ca or by phone at 519-620-4419.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:07 pm

sounds like it will be a great event.
i hope someone can put together a DVD of the event for us who can't make the distance..
Ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:15 am

Copy of Lynn Haugo's article for UPAC News.
Unfortunately Lynn is on dial up and does not get into the site as often as he would like.

Calling All Lazair-heads
During this summer's UPAC Annual Meeting (August 14-16) we will be celebrating 30 years of Lazair flying. Dale Kramer,designer, and Peter Lawrence, engineer, will be there along with many former dealers and owners. We have scheduled a seminar on the History of the Lazair where you will be able to ask questions and share your Lazair stories. We will have an indoor display of the different models produced and a large bulletin board where pictures and information can be displayed. Some Lazair memorabilia will be for sale.
If you love the Lazair ultralight, you'll want to participate! There are several ways to be part of it. First, and best, is fly or trailer your Lazair in and fly with us during the weekend (bring tie-downs). If that's not possible, come yourself and bring your Lazair buddies along. There's always a lot happening, in addition to the Lazair events, to take part in. If you are driving (or flying) in, please bring along a cool photo of yourself and your trusty ol' Lazair, past or present, and a note about where you fly (flew), model, serial #, etc. If you want, also bring along a favorite Lazair story and we'll post these and the picture on the Lazair bulletin board. In addition, we will have a Lazair Logbook of Memories available which we hope every visiting Lazair pilot will sign. At the end of the weekend, any pictures, stories, and comments that we've gathered will be added to the Logbook and it will be presented to Dale Kramer. If you've always wanted to say something to the man who designed the Lazair, this is your chance. (Two years ago, at the Big Bay fly-in, I was able finally to shake Dale's hand and thank him for the hundreds of hours of safe fun I've had in my Lazair. L.H.)
Finally, if you can't attend in person there's still a way for you to be part of this Lazair 30th Anniversery. Find your best picture of your Lazair (and yourself) and email or mail it to Glen Dewsbury, UPAC Director, along with your information and we'll print it out and display it on the bulletin board and include it in the Lazair Logbook. Even better, include a short account of your best Lazair memory! We want all Lazair lovers to be part of this event in whatever way they can!
Email your contributions to: gdewsbury@upac.ca Mail them to: UPAC Headquarters, 907289 Twp. Rd. 12, R. R. #4, Bright, ON N0J 1B0
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

There will be Laziair 30th T-shirts available at the convension.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:37 am

Looks like we'll have a good turnout for this event. Mark Allin will be giving a demonstration on his use of polyethylene covering that he has been using. Very interesting since there are no tapes involved.
If you are planning to attend and haven't already sent an RSVP, please drop me a note.
gdewsbury@upac.ca
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 am

come on glen, throw us a bone! pics!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Events -- Up and coming events