back in the air

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby gdewsbury » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:50 am

Almost forgot to mention. Back in the air again thanks to a Lazair from Lynn Haugo. He had the tedlar installed when I got the plane. A little work to cover the seat , get enigines going and other small items. Wasn't ready for UPAC convention but shortly after. Added the larger ruddervator rods and they work real nice. Resleaving one of the cylinders saved a bunch of $ compared to a new cylinder.
:D

Glen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:56 pm

sweet - more pics is cool :rolleyes:
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby peter » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Glen....Great news and congrat's on getting back in the air again.....I've been on the ground the last couple of weeks with the left engine off for new seals and bearings....got all the parts and gaskets, just need to get it fixed.....the way the wx has been in this part of southern Ont. there has been no rush.....Pete
peter
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Man.... that's great !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby gdewsbury » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:39 am

Mark Taylor was there with his video camera to catch the first flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4At_eNvYAI
Sure felt good.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:41 pm

Look great - added it to my youtube favorites
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:19 pm

You know I'm always surprised when I see Lazairs up north with no pod/windscreen. Get a bad case of frost nuts quick open-air.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby gdewsbury » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:42 pm

I'm planing to install a fairing for the cool months. Same as what is on Peters plane. It`s OK in August but it`s cooling off now. Had one made for myself but someone bought it before I could install. I will be making more as well as wheel pants if any one is interested.
Used the blue atom modul from Lorne Blunt when putting the engines back together. They work like a charm. Checked with a timing light during installation and the timing looked a bit advanced. Turned the back plate to the maximum retard position then tried the engines with out any other changes. Getting 5700 rpm static with biprops.
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:41 am

I think it was a mistake on the part of Ultraflight to make the elaborate full enclosure for the plane. Too much R&D energy was wasted for something not ideal for plane or the market. I'll add that the thing was a work of art. Hats off to the designers.

Ultraflight always paid close attention to added weight on the planes so the full enclosure (30-35lbs) was a real radical departure from the established rational. It was really too heavy for the 185 equipped planes and with JPX's it was over the line for US 103 regs. Looking back a more logical progression would have been development a lightweight fiberglass/lexan arrangement.

I think a little lightweight pod/screen of some sort to break the wind is really great to have. You get the majority of the wind directly off of you and actually pick up a small degree of performance. Rob Kerrs recumbent clear bike windshield was a novel idea. How unfortunate that Robs cobble together hangar collapsed under snow badly screwing up his plane and stopping further refinement/testing.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby JPXman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:36 am

yep - rob is a smart man who moved his curiosity to another ultralight after his lazair was crushed..........the lazairheads lost out on that one.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge