introduction

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby Wayne » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:26 am

Gidday Lazair owners,
I have recentley become the proud owner of an unassembled Mk111, late series wide gear wheel pants, sping rear wheels etc. So I am now building the wings and will finish the Left T24 ? tip soon. I have posted a few pics on yahoo.com and will post pics here, looking forward to flying my first fixed wing,
Regards Wayne from Australia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:09 am

Wayne I suppose I should have introduced myself before I started throwing out all that Lazair information. My name is Shannon Whitaker and I'm located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I've been around Lazairs since 1980 and my father was a dealer for Ultralight starting in 1981. I currently own 2 Series 3's like yours. I'm also a licensed Pilot.

OK, enough about me lets send a big shout out to all the guys who have not posted any information and/or an introduction. Tyler Paradis has several single seat Lazairs and two or three two seaters. Glen Dewsbury has several Lazairs. Brian Diedenhofen has a nice fabric covered III. Don just totally rebuilt a III. Dave (uscgairdale) just sold his totally refurbished two seat Lazair to Craig J. (sustainflight). Russell has a slightly damaged Series I Lazair he's repairing. Mike Godwin has Series 3 he refurbished and has flown all over BC Canada. George Curtis is a long time Lazair owner starting with A-686 in 82 and now owns A-329 (perfection plane). Ozzie, well you know Ozzie already. Chappy is a long time Lazair owner and currently owns a Series IIIEC and A-25. Daffy....well we haven't heard much from him or Karl P. lately ? Peter just purchased a nice III from Frank and has his first few hours on it. Shorty is our resident Lazair building Guru with new D-cell building technology. Art was/is refurbing a III but has been absent lately. Some guys like Barry, Huronflyer, Mochaman, Siggie, JB88, Dale, Mark G.,Mark B., Paul G., Ger, ect..ect.. ect..are simply MIA ? Ok who did I miss ?

These are some of the guys most likely you will see right now on the forum. Other new and old guys will undoubtably pop in and out as time goes on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Wayne » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:29 am

OK, I'll get to know you guys over the next few years or so.
My start in flying was paragliders in 2000. I went and bought a Cors-air 172cc 27hp eletric start paramotor when I got 10hours up on my first paraglider. I then flew some 400+ hours free and motor flying over the next 4 yrs. I came across two lazairs in a shed in2003 and bought them immediatley, the problem is a freind of mine wanted to pararglide and offered to buy the motors of one, well when he saw the lazair he loaded the Mk111 into a truck and dissapeared saying he piad for it, 6 yrs later I bump into the guy and he say he was selling everything , I swapped my Paraglider and gear that afternoon and came home with my Mk111. It was twilight stuff i still can't beleive I have been given back what was originally mine.
wayne, 'truth is stranger than fiction'
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:41 am

Man, I am jealous of your find Wayne. I would lose my mind if I cam across something like that up here in the states. I currently don't own a Lazair, but I'm looking around for another one. Meanwhile, I'm flying a CGS Hawk and have been "hired" by the new owner as a consultant and factory worker. Right now I am redeveloping the Ultra. My Lazair experience is proving a big help with getting the airframe light and strong.

I am very suspect of information off of the internet, but you will find that the info and advice offered up/posted on this site is second to none. With your kit and encouragement from here, you will no doubt have one sweet Lazair for a long long time. Perhaps your kids will get to fly it too!

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:12 pm

Thanks Dave.
I do hope the boys will inherit the lazair one day and they will love flying like a bird just there dad does. I am keen for soaring flight as well as motor flying and will probabaly use the motors to launch and then go hunting for thermals ( bit of the paragliding still there) but its a great buzz to get lifted to 6/7000 ft amsl for free then go on a glide and see how far you can go before hitting the start button again.
The paraglider I last owned was a Epsilom 4 by Advance, the motor was a 172cc airfer My21 cors-air electic start, with 99cm (39in) prop it put out 57kgs of thrust ! (140lb).
I am thinking of getting 2 Radne 120cc motors from sweeden cart compamy, they have an "Aero" motor , electric start , 15 hp ,weigh just 11 kilograms (22lb) at approx $1,600 AUD each, 2-4 ltr (1/2- 1 gall) per hour gas, includes prop and redrive. the power pipe would need modifying to fit over the wing. They have been used for over a decade on paramotor and are extremley reliable, its an Idea I'm toying with that could be viable considering the price, consumption/relaibility
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi Wayne

A word about re-engine-ing a lazair. Most new owners/rebuilders dream of fancy engines with lots of groovy numbers and statistics. They end up on the ground dreaming of their new engines and how to make them work.

My advice is to get your stock lazair flying STOCK first. Then in your workshop, build a 3rd nacelle and a test stand, then buy your dream engines and tinker with that on the rainy days, and fly on the sunny days with your trusty rotax's (or JPXs :)

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Wayne » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:51 pm

Gidday tyler
That's the plan.
I will get the Mk111 going first, I was thinking long term interest in keeping the rotax's in good condidtion so that by using another engine to fly with I could 'save' the rotax's and have them last that much longer. what soft of life can I expect from a maitained Rotax ?
many thanks Wayne
Wayne
LazairNUT

Return to Pilots Lounge