Landing gear mod

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby BlackRain » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:27 pm

I have looked around the forums for any discussions regarding the modification of the landing gear and making it wider. I did find one discussion but nothing really definitive on the subject. Has anyone here modified their lazair to a wider stance and if so what did you do to accomplish this?

Thanks,
BlackRain.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Postby peter » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi BlackRain....Welcome to Lazair Land.....Don't let the narrow gear discourage you..they are alot more stable on the ground than they appear....my first lazair was a ser 2 snoopy bird clone.....no brakes and fixed tailwheels,and the only time I touched a wingtip was when a crosswind gust lifted a wing when I was turning around after rollout....too windy to be flying anyway .... The ser 2 is a good model to learn on if you don't have any taildragger time....with the mains being so close to the center of balance on the ground, as soon as you add power without the stick back, the nosewheel will touch and you are tri gear.... not really what you want, so it teaches you to keep the stick back....The ailerons are quite effective with a bit of airspeed and they will slip nicely if need be for crosswind control... Brakes are nice to have, but if you learn without them you will be a better pilot for it....I have a ser 3 now and it is more demanding on rollout than the old ser2.....However they are both a ton of fun....Be sure to take the engines and carbs apart if they have not been run for a year or so and replace the seals and bearings and replace the diaphrams etc. in the carbs....It's not expensive and it is good insurance and gives you peace of mind knowing the motors are sound....and while you are at it ,install the blue atom electronic ignition modules....I've put over 40 hrs on mine this summer and they have worked perfectly....sounds like you have a dandy progect....Best wishes and good luck........Peter Harrison A899 CIGGI
peter
Popular Lazair Member

Postby BlackRain » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks for the info. Peter, one of the reasons I wanted to go with a wider stance was so I could add floats at some point. Living in Picton and surrounded by water gives me plenty of places to check out on the water ways and always have a place to land. Not to mention I think the look of the wider gear is nicer as well and I would also like to add brakes.

Could you post up some links where I could get the engine parts and upgrades.

Thanks again,
Chad.
BlackRain
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:55 pm

If you want to go with wide stance then simply buy the necessary parts (down tubes, axle, cross tube) from George if he has any available. I may have an extra set of down tube and wing attach fittings to make the conversion. George may have some as well. Phone or email Phil Lipscombe in BC Canada ( 604-530-9799 or email bravo12@telus.net) and see if he can salvage some brake assemblies from his Lazair junkyard and your all set.

You would end up with a plane that looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Or this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Or this:
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:59 pm

All three of the planes above were originally upstick Series II's (like below) and were converted to wide "Series 3" gear.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:03 pm

This Series II interestingly enough was never equipped with rudderpedals and has the integrated (aileron and ruddervator control) overhead stick.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:11 pm

This factory demonstrator had the overhead intergrated stick. I actually sat on the factory test pilots lap (I was just a scrawny kid) in this plane and we flew a short distance on this lake.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:14 pm

Here's another shot of it.
Shannon
SHANNON

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info