Need a new cover ?

Lazair Parts for sale

Postby wingtipsr » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 pm

Never did finish 2 kits so I have all supplies to cover 2 aircraft. Maybe someone can give me an idea about value. I know the tape is in short supply and the mylar is relatively valuable in this form. contact me at jim@jferny.com . Moving soon and need to ship as soon as possible.
wingtipsr
Lazair Newbie

Postby lazairiii » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:33 am

Hello Jim,

Actully there is brand new Tedlar Tape currently available, and the Mylar is rarely used any longer on the Lazair. Truthfully I'd say the decades old tape and Mylar aren't worth very much.

When you say you "didn't finish 2 kits, are you saying you have 2 Lazair aircraft unfinished?

If so, please contact me at:

george@aspenpress.com

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:01 am

If the kits were for series IIIs (as stated in your title), then you would have Tedlar, not Mylar, film. Tedlar is a frosty appearing film, while Mylar is clear. Even though quite old, the Tedlar film should be good. I believe Dale Cramer personally flies a Lazair with the original Tedlar covering installed at his factory over 25 years ago. Tape condition would be the limiting element. Tedlar is quite difficult to come by so you might be surprised what you can get for it.

Actually, Mylar is quite stable and if not subjected to UV (direct sunlight) or ammonia gas (or liquid) should be good too. There just probably isn't anyone that would pay much of anything for it as most people won't consider it for covering anymore. It would still have value to draftsmen, modelers and crafters, and artists.

Any and all old tapes are strictly unusable, at least for our purposes.

Obviousely, anyone that uses such old material (film) is probably taking on some additional risk, but that risk would be something that we really don't have a handle on.

BTW, where are the kits located?

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair parts for sale