Huge model airplane props...

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby joshuag » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:21 am

In my quest for parts I came across these...

http://www.desertaircraft.com/page.php?Page=Propellors

Good price...right size...and ill bet these guys value there multi- thousand dollar r/c planes almost as much as I value my butt.
What do you guys think and which one would you choose for 185's?
Joshua

THANK YOU ALL VERY VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR REPLIES.
I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE THE INFO YOU ALL HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO PUT IN THIS FORUM
joshuag
Lazair.com Member

Postby bdiedenhofen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 am

There could be a decent prop here, who knows? I would worry a bit about the quality control in a mass produced facility for model use. However, it has been done before and seems to work fine. Clark models of Tottenham Ontario make a lazair specific prop and they work well. Clark also carves props for full size aircraft though, so that instills a little more confidence. If you want to get a suitable prop from a model supply, perhaps try the clarks first as they already have an established reputation.
Brian D.
bdiedenhofen
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

Pretty simple. Get some Bi-Props, Clarks, or P-tips and get on with it !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby joshuag » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Alright then. That is what I'll do. My bi props are seem quite dry and have some small nicks but I can probably run them on the ground for now.
I got carried away reading their advertising. I will stick with whatever is recommended on this forum.
Thanks for your advice
joshuag
Lazair.com Member

Postby Chappy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:21 pm

I've heard very good things about the Mejzlik RC Carbon Props but don't know of anyone trying them on a Lazair with the 185 Rotax. The hub mounting may be a big problem as only the hub area of the prop is solid and rather small. The Prince prop will cost you very near $250US each delivered in the States, so the Mejzlik does have the potential to save some money, but only after someone takes on the task of trying them out and selecting the best available one. And that will probably cost that person much more than getting the proven Prince props to begin with.

If you could fit a suitable Mejzlik prop, it would have the advantage of having very low mass blades and that would help extend the life of the engine's crankshaft compared to even slender wood core bladed props like the Prince and Aymar-Demuth.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Shannon is spot on here. Get a set of Wood or Carbon Fiber Prince P-Tips and go fly. They are proven and perform exceptionally well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Another look...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:45 pm

P-Tips compared to the originals...
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:23 pm

According to the owner of this Lazair (for sale at the time) the Vess RC props seen here were not suitable and were to be removed from the plane. He didn't or wouldn't give an exact reason... I asked TWICE ? He did tell me however that Vess did not want the props used on Lazairs.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby joshuag » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:35 pm

Thats great heads up information Shannon. Thank you. Vess was exactly the one I was looking at.
I love those p-tips, beautiful, but they are very pricey. Clarks web site does not list a Lazair specific prop price but similar sizes are very resonable. I have found less literature regarding performance of Clarks props. I assume they are almost as good as p-tips?
Actually, the choice of propeller is probably one of the biggest performance affecting variables on my whole Lazair, correct? So is it safe to say that this is an area one should not skimp on? With this line of reasoning P-tips may be the best "bang for the buck" after all?
Thanks for all of your insight. Im sure there are pitfalls to being a budget minded builder that I will want to avoid. It is so easy to get bad ideas from the internet. I think from now on Im going to just keep it stock, do what you guys recommend, and not waste any more time considering unnecessary modifications.
I was even considering boat wrap. Geesh. sounds crazy saying it.
joshuag
Lazair.com Member

Next

Return to Lazair - General