Fiberglass Wingtips

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Chappy » Fri May 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Dave,

Second that for me, nice report! I assume these were produced by Mike McKusick? I wonder how many sets he produced. I don't remember anyone in my neck of the woods (mid-Atlantic states) ever having them.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby uscgairdale » Sat May 22, 2010 7:17 am

Yes, these wingtips were made by Mike. Who else has installed them? For some reason I want to say that Tyler has; not sure who else.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Sun May 23, 2010 2:16 pm

i installed a set on my series III and my 2-seater. i didn't go to as much trouble to make them look as nice as yours though. i just slipped them on, marked the excess with a pencil, shaved it off. then i drilled and cleco'd a few places and buttoned them on. i used a bit of tedlar tape to prevent air blowing into the wingtip and blowing it off, thats about it!

Tyler
Edmonton, AB
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed May 26, 2010 9:03 am

Good Thread ~ !

Here's a little something related that I'll throw in on this topic. If you are going to utilize the sharp trailing edge and the existing wingtips then slight modification is necessary to blend and match. A couple of short "C" channel extensions need to be added to the last metal wing rib. The wingtip "C" channel rib must also be cut and spliced to lengthen slightly. The wingtip tubing itself will easily bow to it's new needed position. Make some new tabs, clamp in place, drill and rivet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Wed May 26, 2010 9:07 am

Pic 2

See the little C channel splice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 am

Slap on some 2.7oz Poly-Fiber. Tape it, shrink it, coat it, paint it !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Wed May 26, 2010 9:13 am

Tip
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Wed May 26, 2010 9:14 am

Tips ! Decorate a bit.. Nice !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Wayne » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 am

Thank you shannon for this tip,
I noticed that you have the tip fabric over the G235 ? (of the top, not in the shed), so you put the G paltes on then covered in tedlar/mylar then added the finish tape, then put the wing tip fabric over the finish tape ? is that what you have done here,
I was about to put the fabric on the tips, glue/ shrink, then rivet the G235 plates over the fabric, then finish tape the tedlar to the G235. What is the better method here ?
Tip Fadric- G235- tedlar/tape or
G235-Tedlar/finsh tape -then fabric (if this is better what method of glue/ tape is used?)
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Thu May 27, 2010 5:37 am

Wayne when you were building a plane from the box you would put on the tip covering and then install the G-25's (see instructions below). On an already assembled plane doing that really doesn't make much sense. Find yourself a straight line over the last metal rib and put your fabric on along that line (over G-25 in my opinion). When you put your Tedlar on leave enough room for your finish tape to be applied to some bare aluminum on the G-25. Place a capstrip over the Tedlar on the ends too. If you like make some 3" "C" channel sections and place them between the G-25's (inside the wing). This will keep the G-25s from bowing inward when the Tedlar is shrunk.

Basically make a judgment call and split the difference between the Fabric and Tedlar. You'll see about where they both need to lay.
Shannon
SHANNON

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info