Lazair II - 2-seater for sale

Lazair Parts for sale

Postby JPXman » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:52 pm

accident/incident history:

- none that I know of, at least i've never pranged it - however there is a patch in the left wing D-cell that was there when I bought the project in the summer of 2000. The D-cells are otherwise original, and perhaps someday could be opened up to have all the foam noseribs stood up and reglued, however it has never been an issue for me.

two JPX PUL 425 engines - The engines were rebuilt (new thrust bearings and rings) by myself and I've put 30 hours each on them. I have rebuilt both dell'orto carbs, replaced all the lord mounts, re-roped the recoil starters, and put EGT probes on each engine with a dual EGT gauge in the cockpit. the mikuni pumps have been rebuilt, and I actually incorporated a mod from the big rotaxers that drills 1/64" hole to avoid vapour lock. I'm pretty picky.

tedlar was completely redone when i rebuilt it in 2002, and its always been in a hanger - the covering is mint. i put silver mylar tape over all exposed tape to avoid UV degradation. brand new plastic wheels, painted with krylon so the UV won't get to them. every nut and bolt and rod end was replaced when i re-rebuilt in 2005 here in edmonton. new choke and throttle and brake cables. new brake pads. new fuel lines (though some could use replacing again due to slight discolouration) basically new everything! i even replaced all the nylon shoulder washers, and found replacements for the rudder pedal hinges! i found a superior shoulder washer for the ruddervators themselves made from rulon, so those won't wear out in our lifetime. new seat covers too. i put the decompression valves in an ultrasonic bath too, so they're spotless

instruments:
- altimeter (no subscale, 2 pointer)
- ASI 0-80mph
- dual EGT
- two tiny tachs
- master switch for AA battery pack i use to run radio and GPS
- fuel gauge - for capacitive probe in new fuel tank

non-original equipment:
- i kept the plane as stock as I could, however upgraded a few things that are generally accepted as a must on lazairs:
1. sharp trailing edge - a V-shaped channel riveted to the trailing edge of the wing to stiffen it and avoid the "scalloping" that occurs on most lazair recoverings
2. ruddervator double horn - a must modification. simple, but when you see it compared to other lazairs you shake your head as to why nobody thought of it
3. vertical fin - i added this for flying from floats
4. radio antenna - being an amateur radio guy, i put on a really nice ground plane antenna that i get about 50 miles range from my icom
5. single plug helmet connection - you plug your helmet in right above your head and it connects to the radio, PTT on the stick
6. carb tuner 90 degree gear - allows tuning of the dell'orto with the engines running (a big plus)
7. new 8 gallon gas tank with princeton capacitive fuel probe - very cool. i even mounted a filler neck on the top of the wing so you don't have to sit under the wing to fill it
8. the first bay of each wing is skinned with aluminum. this is the way I got it, and its actually pretty good. The reason it was done was for the tuned pipes, so they wouldn't melt the tedlar and had a place for the pipes to mount to.

Snag list:
- i put fibreglass wingtips on, and one of them has delaminated a bit on the seam - i'd reglass that seam and repaint
- i made the instrument panel hastily, but it works well. for looks i'd put in a nicer one......
- a few of the rod guides for the pushrods to the tail have succumbed to UV. i've been trying to get a friend to turn some more on a lathe, but those are easy to replace when motivated to do so.

i have some pics posted at my website www.vandeley.com/lazair/index.html look under C-IEHB. Since those pics were taken, i've put in the new gas tank. You'll see a funny pitot tube - i made it so you can fold it upward so nobody walks into it when in the hanger.

I am selling because I am rebuilding my single seater now and need the space. the value comes from the fact that i have sourced new suppliers for almost every part of this plane. as such, here are the optional items if you're interested:

- spare engines - I have a bunch of serviceable spare JPX engines, so you can buy a spare or two to avoid downtime if something goes funny (which i've never had to do, so i have a stack of 10 JPX engines i've collected over the past 10 years)
- i have electric start for the JPX's. it is untested in flight, but i can set you up with it when i get it done
- floats - i have a set of 950 zenair straight floats that mount on this lazair. we can discuss those if you're interested
- GPS - i have an old GPS in there that is negotiable. its nice because its small and runs off AA's
- Icom A4 radio - the radio that is in there is negotiable
- niagara parachute - it has the harness attached to the frame under the centre section still, and the mounts for a niagara chute. i have a chute but its out of currency thats why i took it off.

My selling price bare bones is $8,000obo . the other things are negotiable, but I would want $400 for a spare JPX, $500 with spare nacelle (nice to have spare nacelle for engine testing off airplane), $1750 for the set of floats, and the GPS and radio i'd let go for $100. the chute for $300. i have spare props too, $250 a set.

Let me know what you think - I know of only 5 flying 2-seat lazairs, and this is the nicest in canada. this one isn't as pretty as the one dave aldous restored, but is very airworthy. I am only selling because I have 2 more 2-seaters I have to rebuild and i don't seem to be starting on them since i have a flying one already!

I have a trailer and can deliver for cost of fuel.

Tyler Paradis
Edmonton, AB
tyler"at"lazair.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby sustainflight » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 am

Nice looking plane Tyler. I appreciate the work you've done to source parts; I've already made use of several of your sources.

--
Craig
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Fri May 07, 2010 1:58 pm

still for sale, website to come in the next week with detailed pics/description
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:18 pm

SOLD!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Siggie » Sat May 29, 2010 8:27 am

Hey Tyler Thanks for the great Lazair 2.Looking forward 2 getting her into the air down here--Its been 16 to 17 yrs. since I have flown a Lazair. She looks real cool in my toy box.Looks like a few days before I can even taxi as we woke up to a few inches of the white stuff .
Thanks also to Daffy as his helping hands helped make short work of the tear down in Edm. and the reassembly down here.
Siggie
Siggie
Lazair.com Member

Postby Shannon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:52 am

Tyler we don't know if we should be sad for you or happy for Siggie or vice versa or just what ? Then again maybe this is a good thing as you have opened up a bit of work space in the main Lazair wharehouse complex. We could be sad for Siggie as he has apparently been bitten by the Lazair bug which can become a serious infection if left untreated.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby JPXman » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:59 am

i feel more sad than happy, thats for sure. but its a step towards completing more lazair rebuilds. siggie used to fly lazairs in the 80s and has his own strip so he should have some good times when southern alberta finally dries out from months of rain!
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby sustainflight » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Tyler,

> I actually incorporated a mod from
> the big rotaxers that drills 1/64" hole to avoid vapour lock.

Would be interested to hear about that.

I need to replace my fuel lines, getting bubbles and they are very stiff. What's a good source of translucent but durable fuel line in the US?

BTW, hardware-store 1/4" line appears very loose on the inlets to my Dell'Orto OVC carbs, does proper fuel line fit tighter or do some of you find you need smaller?
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:54 pm

Shannon
SHANNON

Postby sustainflight » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks Shannon,

I also printed your suggestions on minimizing fuel bubbles by keeping the system simple.

Craig
sustainflight
Popular Lazair Member

Next

Return to Lazair parts for sale