Rotax 185 muffler setup

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby peter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi Shannon....haven't got my springs yet ....It has never occured to me to assemble the springs with the manifold off, and then insert the bell pipe into the muffler and put ex. manifold back on the motor....Is this the proper/easy way to install the springs?....the other way is quite a challenge getting the inside spring hooked......Thanks ....Pete
peter
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Pete, I've never disassembled/assembled a manifold assembly while it was mounted. Install the springs but leave one spring unhooked on one end. Next insert the union mid-pipe and hook the end of the one loose spring. Nothing to it really with the original type springs.

The larger MFG. supply springs however are a bit harder to work with. Putting these springs on called for me to chuck up the gooseneck in the vice to hold it. Also you have to hook the last spring on in one direction (hooks facing in, see pic). Like I mentioned before these MFG supply springs look as if they'd work (atleast temporarily) if you had no other spring to use. The factory supplied type springs would be best but I haven't been able to find any yet. Maybe the ones you ordered from Empire will be the correct diameter and length.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby peter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the info and pics. Shannon...will keep you posted......Pete
peter
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Wayne » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:35 am

<_< Is it possible to get a slightly longer spring and bend the last coil into a hook, then centre the hook to a more accessable position and customism the whole thing to fit properly?
Wayne
LazairNUT

Postby peter » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:52 pm

Hi Guys...Got the ex. springs the other day from EmpireKarts and they appear to be the exact same as yours Shannon...I would think the proper springs are available somewhere though, but I suppose these will do the job allbeit hard to install
Finally getting a T hangar built...should be finished tomorrow...snow predicted in a couple of days...just in time....hangar is a beefed up Poor Pilot's Hanger...we get a fair bit of snow up here in Ont sometimes...Looking forward to trying the skis..........Cheers ....Pete
peter
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 am

Hi Pete, I have not be able to find any OEM type replacement springs yet. I was able to test the larger MFG springs however. They would work for me given no alternative but as I suspected they are not ideal. The size and tension of the springs is just a bit much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby ozzie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:42 pm

have you considered welding the hook on like they use on the 503 exhaust. you could set it up to suit the spring.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby peter » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:51 am

Never thought of a trick like that Ozzie...that would be way too easy...Pete
peter
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Shannon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:10 am

That could indeed be designed-tested but I wouldn't be interested in doing it. I personally would just be looking to find some replacement springs. It would take all of 10 minutes to replace the old springs and move on to the next thing. The good news is (for me anyway) I don't need any springs right now.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby lazairiii » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Shannon,

Very nice looking airplane! I can see that you take great pride in your workmanship and detail. I love the color sceme too, not to mention the mixture of Tedlar and fabric.

Great pic.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Re-Building tips and info