Winter project

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby Shannon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:44 am

You can see in this pic how the Two-seat front wing attach fitting is simply bolted to the spar with three bolts versus being riveted in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Chaosrider » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:35 pm

For my part at the moment I am more at the planning stage as to what I will do to the lazair when i take it out of storage next spring.

Also as a part of installing an instrument package to it, I am starting slowly a RPM sensor package project. It consist of a small microcontroller board and a small LCD screen that would read out hopefully both RPM through a Tinytach style probe and EGT from both engines.

I started on the programming a bit and will soon get parts to make the probe. What I am not sure at the moment is where to get EGT probes with specs to use.

Once all is done, I plan to make it available to other who would like the same setup and would probably be quite cheap for what it would do.

What would be nice after that is to add logging functions so you would be able to take data to your computer and have a graph showing rpm and EGT vs time

Also I might as well add OAT sensor ant timer to it if possible.
Chaosrider
Lazair.com Member

Postby lazairiii » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:08 pm

It's a Lazair folks...let's not over do it. Remember to keep it simple.

Even my pod here is more than what is truly necessary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby ehill9587 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:16 pm

I agree with Lazair Iii on keeping it simple, but when it comes to keeping an eye on the engines, EGT and to a lesser extent the CHT are a must for me. I would have burnt up my new rotax on my quicksilver when I developed a pin hole leak in the primer line. At idle the fuel line looked fine, but at 5400 rpm bubbles would form and since the primer feeds into the output of the carbs,the engine would lean out with increased vacuum even though the carbs were tuned property. I saw the EGT increasing nursed it back to the field. It took me over an hour to find the leak (it was really small) When I get the lazair rebuilt I will have the EGT and the CHT in it.
ehill9587
Lazair.com Member

Postby JPXman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:44 pm

also remember its winter. if you want to build a groovy sensor package then giver. though, i think the most valuable thing you could design/program if your a micro kind of guy would be a "master caution" of sorts. something that senses the EGT or RPM is out of whack (EGT too high or difference in RPM too great?). then it lights a BIG red light in front of you to prompt a gauge scan.

yes all you old farts i realize you flew in the 80s with a halls ASI and nothing else but hey, this could be built for about $4 in parts and 100 hours of labour :)

2 xmas cents

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Old fart? Haahaa! I'm still in my 40's... I know that my kids sure think I'm old, that's for sure.

Fond memories of the Hall's in the 80's. Look closely and you will see the Halls next to my left elbow. That pic was of me and A-686 in 1982.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Ahh I wouldn't waste a second with a bunch of Mumbo Jumbo... just don't need it (185's). I slapped this together a few weeks back and even this is really more than you absolutely need (still need to put on the rubber trim). "Skysports" type Pod (Spruce), Westach Tachometers (10' leads), and Ultralight type 0 to 70-80 ASI (Spruce). Mount with a nifty tube clamp from McMaster Carr and your set. If you want to get fancy mount a small GPS somewhere handy.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:44 pm

Built this one a few years back with one of the small ASI's.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:46 pm

Built this one even farther back with 3 big instruments (took the gawdy sticker off Haa Haa).
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:49 pm

This is my vintage "CPS 800-Airwolf " type Pod. Note the Garmin GPS mount at top.
Shannon
SHANNON

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge