[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - Tedlar & tape sources?

Tedlar & tape sources?

Post what you are looking for

Postby jb88ci » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:03 am

I did experiment with 'tarp tape'. It's a relatively thick tape that is used to repair and splice poly tarps. It's heat/sun activated and runs $5 for about 30' of tape...it sticks to tedlar like you wouldn't believe...comes in almost any colour and clear.....that's going to be my second choice....i'm picking up some housewrap tape to test on friday....comparing specs, it looks good. It's the acrylic adhesive that creates the bond, much like the special tedlar tape...
jb88ci
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:30 pm

Guys, the stickyness is great AND desired, but along with that you need longivity. If you have a sticky tape that only lasts 2 years due to UV degridation you wasted your time. We all need to do our homework here and find an acceptable alternative that has exceptional adhesion along with the absolute must of UV protection. Now, I plan to do this AND apply 3M's #850 silver foil tape over the top of the tape to keep those nasty rays from destroying my efforts.

I have sample tapes coming for avaluation...I'll report on them shortly. But what I have found out is that all but one of the (12-15) tape suppliers, converters, wholesalers and distributors I have asked the following question, only one has been able to even answer, and it was positive. I asked this question; "Does this tape have a UV rating, and has it been tested for more that a few years"? The one company that answered yes to both has samples coming to me now. There answer was this. "We have had samples, and continue to rotate samples at our Canadian facility on their outdoor testing wall." "Some of these exact tapes we are sending you have been on that very wall for more than 20 years and are holding as strong as the day they were placed there." I immediately asked for samples.

I'll post a report as I get and evaluate the samples.

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:13 pm

I think that all this testing and interest in new tapes is great, and will help us keep our ships in good shape.

When we do come up with some testing results, I think we should post it in the files area as testing results and recommendations....positive or negative results will help advance our knowledge and same others from having to try the same things over and over again.

Im sure after all these years there must be products superior to the ones available 20 years ago.

I do have a question though.

The 2" leading edge tape, was originally tedlar, and would shrink along with the tedlar when you make the covering tight?

Im wondering if it would make a significant difference if that tape was not the shrinkable type? Maybe a new application technique would be required.

Anyone tried and have comments?
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:09 pm

The series III manual changes the technique a bit to shrink the covering prior to applying the Tedlar finishing tape.

Yes, test results will be coming forwhit. I'm just waiting for the material to arrive. If it is as good as described and is reasonably priced, then I'll be very interested.

Remeber though, Ultraflight changed the width from 2" to 2.6 inches. I am testing 3" wide tape here. 3M offers their silver 850 tape in 3" so to me it's a good match.

We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow so I can give it a thourough checkout (as much as possible) over the holiday weekend...3 days for me here in the states.

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:36 pm

<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Wanted to buy