Pioneer Engines

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby Barry » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:25 pm

I have just bought a Lazair for "a very reasonable price", which means I have lots of work to do. I am an A&P mechanic with lots of structural experience, so that side doesn't worry me too much. As far as the engines are concerned, I am totally ignorant. The purchase comes with two unused Pioneer engines. Where can I find information on these units?
Barry

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:24 pm

You may want to sell them to someone already using pioneers and find some rotex 185 to use instead. There is not much infomation for these old engines.

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:38 pm

Pioneer are 6 HP chainsaw engines....so keep your ship light, no adding "extras"

Parts:

http://www.psep.biz/store/chainsaw%20pioneer.htm
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/chainpartpio.cfm

Shop Manual:
http://www.repairmanual.com/catalog/CSS-10

These are 2 stroke engines requiring an oil/gas premix.

Ask some specific questions and you'll get more responses.

Welcome aboard, we have a wealth of info and expereince so ask questions and in a couple days you'll likely know more than you ever wanted about the Lazair.

Where are you from?
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:54 pm

Barry,

Actually, the little 99 cc Pioneer (Chainsaw) engines only produce around 4.5 to 5 hp max. at the rpm's permitted with the props supplied by Ultraflight! If you keep your plane stock and don't add any weight to it, and you don't weigh more than around 175 pounds, you can expect about 250 ft/min. rate of climb max. in good conditions. If you think 1000 Ft/min ROC is exciting, wait until you hit some sink while trying to get out of a smallish strip while only getting 200 ft/min. climb. Give yourself a little extra room until you get used to it. The best climb speeds are very slow - in the 20-30 mph range. The early Lazairs have a pretty good glide of around 13:1 or so.

Also spend some time just sitting in your new plane and get your wrist used to the movements of the overhead stick. Although the stick moves in the same direction as in any other stick aircraft, your wrist "twists, or breaks" in the opposite direction. For some reason, stick pilots don't seem to notice this until they get about ten feet in the air on their first flight, then when making their first control corrections, the movement of their wrist will cause them to experience confusion. Not a good thing that close to the ground. There have been a number of accidents due to this. The more time you've spent flying stick, the more likely you will experience this, so practice flying the overhead stick on the ground for some time before your first actual flight!

Because you've not owned 2 stroke engines before, just know that they are different critters than 4 strokes. The biggest difference is in tuning. YOU CAN NOT RUN 2 STROKE ENGINES LEAN. THEY REQUIRE A RICH MIXTURE TO PROPERLY BE COOLED AND LUBRICATED! If you try, as pilots are used to doing, to lean for max. rpm and min. fuel burn, they won't last long, I promise you.

Also, it's wise to make your first flights in no wind conditions. The very, very light wing loading will take some getting used to. I love it, but some pilots never get comfortable with it. If your Lazair didn't come with rudder pedals, be ready to experience lots of adverse yaw. Agressive initial stick inputs will overcome it, but again, it takes some getting use to. Many of the early Series I Lazairs have been converted with rudder pedals.

Good luck with your Lazair! It's the most fun thing I've ever flown!

Chappy in Virginia, Lazair #25
Chappy
LazairNUT

Return to Lazair - General