propeller shaft material

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Chappy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:49 pm

Hey Steve, ya think you could draw that on a smaller napkin so we can figue out what you're doing. You probably swiped those mounts off of one of those new Holden made GTOs they're sending over here to the states I bet. Have you seen Jeremy Clarkson of BBC's Top Gear video magazine ripe around an old WWII airfield in one? Sure looks like fun!

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:16 pm

Daffy,

Actually, they are pretty close in performance. My climb might be a little better, but speed a little slower. I spent a whole day back in 1981 cruising around Lake Eire and the town of Port Colborn with Dale. He flew a stock Series II. I didn't have too much trouble keeping up. Dale's a bigger guy than I am, but my Lazair was heavier than his what with all the mods.

The big differences are noise (my engines run almost twice the speed of the Rotaxes), and reliability. The Pioneers start to get a little tired after only a hundred hours or so, and are shot by 200. I've flown about 450 hours in my Pioneer powered Lazair (#25), of which about 400 have been with my redrives. BTW, my homemade 3 layer pine props have held up just fine, even though they were glued together with polyester tacking resin ( I was out of Epoxy) and painted with model airplane paint! I love the way my Lazair looks with the big red props, whether it's flying or parked.

Did you make your own castings? I've never tried that. Keep this thread up and I'll have to build my own set for my Rotaxes or Solos.

Chappy
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:40 am

hi chappy don't know why it's turns out so big i'll try again
the GTO is called the MONARO here it is a reborn muscle car from the 70's, nice car i did my (1st) apprentership with the "General" in the seventies before airplanes. if you like this sort of thing check out V8 Supercars site and the Bathurst 500 mile race at Mount Panarama exspecially during the 70's when it was a true production car race that has always been a battle between ford /holden (chev) V8s 160 mph off the mountain. it is happening in oct sports channel will show it 8hrs go to whoa.

i just ordered the covering tapes had to make a couple of changes one was a ten week wait for 2inch. australian company makes a tape c28x which is slightley better than the original min 5 yr constant exposer life.

the other was the double sided tape, replaced with tesa 4965 a more advanced product both tapes withstand -23c to +80. the local guy here is familiar with mylar and their tapes he supplies a solar panel maker and several flower growers. this tape should be ok for tedlar as well when i get a chance i'll do a test panel with the little i have. it would be good for those in Canada as both have excellent cold stick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:42 pm

resized for ya big guy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Chappy » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:11 pm

Steve,

I like it, the old KISS principle.

OR, rotate your bar stock pieces 90 degrees, and bend a right angle tab on each end. Make the side plates that extend from the old nacelle the strong plates, and mount the bars to the sides using your pilfered shock adsorber mounts. Now, if you can cross brace the two extension side plates without getting in the way, you could hang a redrive off the bottom of the engine!

Chappy (Redrive Boy)
Chappy
LazairNUT

Postby daffy1029 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:12 pm

Chappy,
The mounts were made from solid square aluminum, 2 1/2 inches thick x 4 in. wide x 6" long. I have access to a cnc machining center (like a computerized milling machine). I am a cnc programmer and was able to program the mounts that you see. Later when I test the mounts on the engine test stand, I may drill more holes into the mounts to lighten them. The total weight with nacelle but without the prop so far is 33 lbs./unit. I have heard the weight for rotax, nacelle and prop is 34 lbs. I feel I am not to far off:)
I thought your pioneers/redrives would work well. I am hoping for the same up against JPX's. I used to have them on my airplane.
daffy1029
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Re-Building tips and info