Rays Lazair Series II almost ready to fly

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:42 pm

Here are some pics of my Series II....Never flown, but almost ready....just need to address some covering issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:47 pm

Heres another one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:52 pm

The engines have just been broken in for 4 hours.

The right side engine is leaking oil a bit from the crank case but this is all there is after 2 hours of running. Im not going to worry about it unless it gets worse.

I noticed the compression release valves make a mess of the mufflers, no wonder some people seal them off with a short bolt. Maybe when my engines are not so tight anymore I'll be able to turn it over without the releases and do the same.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:03 pm

Same area as my Lazair pics but now Im up on the ridge flying about.

Notice the ridge in the background in the first pic....Im about in the middle of the ridge.

Its nice to have multiple ways of getting in the air. The Lazair is parked at a glider port.....i was a glider pilot 5 years ago too.....I cant stay out of the air for long....it bekons to me.

Dont you wish you lived in sunny California to!!!!! Cmon down, theres lots of room, and the traffic is no worse than Toronto....where I came from.....LOL
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:58 pm

Great Pics ? How soon are you planning to fly this plane.

Postby lazair3ca » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:27 am

Ray,

Your engines are missing the carb stack that I have seen on most other Rotax 185s. I don't know about the performance with or without the stack but I was told that there is a mist of fuel that excapes the throttle and the intake stack may reduce the fuel consumption.
Cheers, Bill C-IHMS
Bill
C-IHMS
lazair3ca
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazairiii » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:48 pm

Ray,

Something caught my eye and has been bothering me all weekend in one of the pics I saw of the way the throttle cables are being held in place on your motors. Are those babana clips I see on there? If these let go, you will not have any throttle control at all. I would suggest finding an alternative solution to hold these in place in a way that will give you complete confidence that they will not either slip or have any chance of coming off. I have attached a pic of the solution a couple of us are using.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:08 pm

Thanks Bill for the comment on the carb stack.
You are quite right, Ive noticed fuel escaping the carb, so I will try to find something suitable to extend the carb and improve fuel economy.

LazairIII guy, thanks for your suggestion on the throttle linkage.

I am using the clip that came with the kit, but I didnt trust the holding ability of it so I put the clip over top to tighten it.

Ive been unhappy with that arrangement as it just doesn't seem very robust.

I like your solution much better, and that picture was the perfect thing to help me visualize and fabricate a much more robust attachment.

Many thanks guys.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:41 pm

Ray what are plans for the covering ? All known measures should be taken to reinforce this covering if you plan to fly it. It can and will come off on you. Double taping and capstrips would be a good idea.

Are you left handed ? Throttles are set-up for a lefty.

OEM Sparkplug caps are known to pop off.

Check tire pressure 16-18psi max. 16 is good for a II. Tech update 3.7

Read Tech update 6.12. Faulty Rotax starters were know to shed metal flakes causing engine failure. Reconfigure to later design engine mounts and Tecumseh starts would be good idea.

Solid fuel lines safety wired may prevent air leaks. Tech update 1.3

Check Cylinder head torque. Tech update 5.9

Check compression releases (8.4) and carb nuts (tech update 6.3).

Installation of brackets and small tailwheels will prevent tail abuse.

Gap covers should be installed.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:14 pm

Ray what are your plans for the covering on the plane. Loose awfully loose.

Are you left handed ? Throttles set up for lefty.

OEM sparkplug caps can come off. There more secure ones available for minimal cost.

Do you plan to incorporate some tailwheels and move your tail brace cables up (tech update 5.5).

Splices in the fuel lines just before the carb inlet make air leaks (bubbles) hard to detect.

Have you checked cylinder head torque ? (tech update 5.9)

Is your tail held with a cable brace as described update 6.15.

Original Rotax starters were apparently defective. (Tech update 6.12)

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge