[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - How to set Timing on Rotax 185

How to set Timing on Rotax 185

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:47 pm

<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:11 pm

2 additional questions. 1. Is the point gap important..? I had to set mine wider to accomplish step 7. 2. Regarding step 7., I thought I read somewhere that the points should 'break' at .16 before TDC...you mention 'close' at .16 before TDC..? Also, shouldn't the prop be backed off from the right direction to get .16 before..? Thx

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:18 pm

As far as I know, the point gap is not important, but the "break" is.

My terminoligy is incorrect when I refer to "points should close" I like the term "break" better.

The spark should fire at .16" before top dead center.

So now that your done hows your engine running now?

I notice mine ran smoother...less vibration at all seetings, especially just above idle.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:45 pm

Ray what RPM's are your engines turning up ?

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:30 am

Thx So, the spark fires right at the break of contact..or .16" BTDC..? And lastly, at what distance BTDC would your spark fire before the piston made it to TDC... .17"...18"....19"....20..?

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:54 am

According to the manual .13" BTDC is the mark.

Postby rayjb60 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:48 pm

Just to clarify, the spark fires when the piston is 0.13"(according to manual) before the top of its stroke travel (BTDC).

Have not measured my rpms, but it sure sounds sweet and smooth when they are at full speed.

I had both flintstone brakes straining on the ground practically lifting the entire plane to hold it in place while sitting in the seat at full power.

Those engines are powerfull and sing sweetly together....Lovin it!!!!!!!
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:04 pm

Ray - Ignore my ignorance. .13" BTDC is a distance. Do you mean, with points breaking at .16" BTDC, another .03" and the spark fires..? I'm trying to understand this timing thing logically and need to know when the spark is created. At the break of the points, a little after the break of the points, or when the break of the points reaches a gap of .14 inch..?

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:10 am

The points should contact and FIRE somewhere between .13-.17" BTDC. 16"-17" BTDC seems to be the best setting.

Postby rayjb60 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:00 pm

That measurement .13-.17 inches is the distance from the top of the piston, to the top of its travel.

You set a gauge in the spark plug hole and zero it, when the piston is at the top of its travel......then you bring it down .15 of an inch and then you adjust the points so that they close (contacts touch).

You use a continuity tester of some sort to determine exactly when the contacts touch, on the points.

Do be sure that the piston is in the BTDC position....I believe the roation of the prop is clock wise when looking at the front of the engine.

If you time it to the After Top Dead Center, your engine will run very poorly if at all.

If you still dont understand then I will draw a picture and paste it in the post, that should help clear it up.

I think your confusion lays in what that measurement is..... It is NOT the points gap, it is a measurement from the top of the piston to TDC through the spark plug hole.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info