[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
Lazair.com • View topic - How to set Timing on Rotax 185

How to set Timing on Rotax 185

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Bill R » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:06 am

I followed Shannon's suggestion and set the points to open/close at 0.17" BTDC. Both of Dave's engines are set that way and they start well and run quite smoothly.
I have one of my engines set at 0.15" and the other one at 0.17". The set to 0.17 had 100 RPM more than the one set to 0.15". The Left one is 0.15" and when I measured it last year it ran 5600 RPM static with the biprops. The Right engine is set to 0.17" and it will turn 5700 RPM static with a biprop. I find that the right engine idles rougher than the left engine. Every thing else being equal, which they are not, I'll explain later, I would expect higher RPMs with the 0.17" setting providing you do not get knocking, Predetonation.
To further complicate the experiment the right engine has the spinner backplate but no spinner. The left engine has neither the spinner nor the spinner backplate. The carb on the right runs a little richer at times even though I try to set them for max -1/4 turn The pump works better on the right engine. I need to do some maintenance on the Left pump/carb
Both engines run well enough that I did a 140 mile crosscountry on Saturday and they ran like swiss watches.
My 2 cents worth, Bill
Bill R

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:56 pm

Thats great Bill, and thanks for some hard numbers confirming your settings and rpm.

Looks like the Magic number is about 0.16" BTDC.

Its good to know how reliable those little devils are, given a bit of TLC and a fighting chance.

About that Xcountry, was that on a single tank of fuel?
Where did you go?
Any pics from the trip?
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:57 am

Postby lazairiii » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:50 pm

lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby lazair3ca » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:41 am

Bill
C-IHMS